Friday, September 24, 2010

Our New Normal

So, the twins are just finishing up being in Kindergarten for two and half weeks. Thankfully, they still love going to Kindergarten. Although, sometimes I wish they loved going a little less, so they are not so eager to go in the mornings that they are waking me up before my alarm goes off to get them to school. Out of the 13 mornings of getting up earlier for school, I have only had to wake them up twice. And I am sure feeling the effects of getting up early to an alarm again on the weekdays. Before school started, I was going to bed typically between 12-1 at night, but not anymore. In fact, last Friday night, I had to talk myself out of climbing into bed at about 8! I mean, come on! It's a Friday night, and I can barely keep my eyes open.:) But enough about me...:)

Dylan has adjusted fairly well. I was worried that he would be bored with mommy all day, but it really hasn't been like that. He definitely misses Scott and Madeline, and whenever he sees a yellow school bus, asks if they are coming home. But he also gets to do fun things he never got to do before. Like going to Borders and mommy just sitting on the floor and reading him some books. This is actually kind of a first for me too, because with the twins I always had two to watch, and couldn't give my undivided attention to just one. He also gets special little treats, like an Icee at Target (although when the twins found out about that one, mommy got in big trouble...). One thing different about Dylan, from Scott and Madeline, is he sometimes asks to go back home. When this first happened, I was a little shocked. Scott and Madeline have always loved being out doing things, and never wanted to just be home. In fact, even now when they get home from being at school almost 7 hours, they want to know what other fun things are we going to do that day, or where else we are going to go ( no coming home, falling asleep, exhausted kids here...).

As for Scott and Madeline, they have really enjoyed their class at school. They have some caterpillars in their class that are changing into butterflies, so it is fun to hear their reports on what stage they are currently in, like the chrysalis stage going on right now, if I remember correctly. And so far, Madeline has only left her jacket at school once (which we got the next day), but Scott, on the other hand, has left his jacket at school (got the next day as well), and backpack on the bus (which we were able to track down the same bus an hour later and go retrieve it), and most recently, his water bottle on the bus as well (we will find out today if he could track that one down). And yesterday, he hopped off the bus without anything! But, lucky for him, he has a nice twin sister that came behind him carrying his backpack and jacket he had left behind on the bus. *sigh* What to do... Hopefully between the two of them, they can start remembering their things better.:)

And from my point of view, I am really excited to see Madeline and Scott each day when they get home, and love seeing their little heads peeking over the bus windows for me when the bus pulls up each afternoon. And I love hearing about what they have done in school that day and what new things they are learning. Overall, we are liking the new routine, but I find it hard to believe this is our new normal. They will be in school like this for years to come. I am just glad I still have little Dylan at home with me. Not ready to have all the kids in school yet.:) And no, we are not done having kids yet, but all in good time, all in good time.:)

5 comments:

The Piepers said...

I love the update! :) How nice to hear that not ALL kindergarteners are exhausted at the end of the day! I have yet to hear about any kids who don't love kindergarten. And cute little Dylan gets mommy all to himself. What a treat! :)

Anonymous said...

All in all, life sounds very busy in the Harker household. It surprised me that Scott is the forgetful child and Madeline taking care of him. It is so great that kindergarteners love school. That's the way it should be. If not? Somethings wrong. Sounds like mommy is enjoying her one on one time with Dylan. Something you've never had before. See you soon.
Grandma Sue

Kim said...

Sounds like someone needs to have his name written on the inside tag of his jacket. I hope the twins have a great birthday week. I'll be sure to eat TWO pieces of deliciously rich chocolate cake in their honor. My love to all! Kim

Jake said...

I love that Scott is just like James. We were collecting lost items all year last year. We actually permanently lost a hat and had to go clear to the bus depot to retrieve his snow boots. Ah, the life of a mother . . .

Kambria Smith Robinson said...

I was totally the same way about school! so funny...we had an awesome tree frog as a class pet and I remember getting to take it home. Loved it :-)