Wednesday, September 08, 2010

First day of Kindergarten!

A big Day for Scott and Madeline in the Harker household today!




They used to be this big...


And now look at them. Old enough to go to kindergarten! And they are even some of the oldest kids in kindergarten.








Their teacher.:) They get to be in the same class together, which I am kind of liking so far. When I first registered them last May, they asked if I had a preference if they were put in the same class or not. I said I didn't care, so I figured they would split them up. I was surprised when I found out they were together, but I think it will be kind of nice. I only have one new teacher to get to know, one class to help out in, one class to go on field trips with, and they will have the same homework and stuff (when or if they get homework). Plus they have a friend all the time in class. It is a little more comforting for me.:) And we are very happy with their teacher so far. She seems great and we have heard good things about her.:)



They are able to ride the bus to and from school also. But for the first few days, I am planning on just walking them, more for mommies benefit then theirs.:) But I did have them ride the bus home, since it is right during Dylan's nap time. I was a little nervous that they would be on the correct bus (although I knew the teacher makes sure of that already), and that they wouldn't get off in the wrong place (but again I think the bus driver makes sure the kindergartner's have a parent waiting for them before letting them off). I was very happy to see their little smiling faces peeking out the bus windows when the bus pulled up. What big kids! I missed them so much today and was so glad to give them a big hug and a kiss. Luckily, they still are okay with me doing that in public.:)
After getting off the bus, I asked how their day was. Scott said he shared some of his sweet pickles (he requested a tuna sandwich for lunch and wanted some sweet pickles in a baggie with it) with his friend. And that he couldn't wait until the next day to play Buzz and Woody with a different friend. Typical Scott response. The first thing Madeline said was there was a girl that kept bugging her today, but she didn't bug her back. Hilarious.:) After further prodding (they mainly kept talking about lunch...) I found out they went outside on the playground and learned some rules. When I asked what rules Scott said he could only remember one. No throwing sticks. Madeline piped in that the other rules were no throwing wood chips, acorns, or rocks. So, I guess it is a good thing they are in the same class. When one forgets the rules, the other may remember.:)
I am so glad their first day was such a success.:) I just hope they didn't monopolize all the teacher's time with their questions and observations.:) And they even had their first class of their swim lessons again today. Quite a full day for them, but they handled it great. Hopefully tomorrow is as good. And now I know what it is like to have just one child for the majority of the day for the very first time. What am I going to do with myself?:)

10 comments:

Kim said...

It was fun to read about their first day adventures in kindergarten! I especially like the rules about "no throwing sticks, acorns or wood chips." We don't have such rules here in Arizona.

MomOB said...

They are so cute. Madeline really reminds me of you. Remember when I used to watch you each day after kindergarten? I loved doing that. :)

Klare said...

Reading that reminded me of my oldest, Kali, and her first day of Kinder. We let her ride the bus to school and I followed in my car. We have on video when she got on the bus, she had the biggest, excited grin on her face. It was so cute and at the same time I couldn't believe she was old enough!! Now she's a 7th grader. Oh how time flies.
Have fun with only 1 at home!! :)

The Johnsons said...

Wow! it is fun to see such a string of events. I'm so excited for Scott and Madeline to be in Kindergarten. I'm sure they will love it....and it might just be a little bit fun for you too :)

Lucy and I both love Dylan's new pose. Tell him to keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Of course I loved this post! Everyone is so excited and too grown up. I can't believe they are almost 6. Dad and I got a chuckle about Scott's tuna sandwich and sweet pickles. I'm sure he's unique in that choice of sandwich for his age group. I can just picture their cute faces looking out the bus windows. Madeline is quite the poser. I'm sure Dylan will miss them tons but now Dylan and mom have some time together. Enjoy.
Grandma Sue

Julie said...

I was thinking about them on wednesday! I'm so glad it went well. They are so cute! we love you guys.

Cece Girl said...

You are going to love it! They are adorable

Jake said...

So much fun. I'm glad your first bus experience was positive! Our first one here was a little freaky (I'll have to share it with you sometime!). Anyway, cute kids! B

Kelli said...

OH, we miss you guys! Seeing Scott and Madeline on their first day of school is so fun. McKay still talks all the time about his "best friend Scott Harker". :)

Merkley Jiating said...

They are so cute side by side as babies! You got two cute babies at the same time! You lucky duck! Except that you had to carry them and birth them and feed them. You know, those small details.