Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Bitter Sweet

I should be busy cleaning and organizing our apartment right now, getting ready for the movers to come next week, but I don't really want to. We are excited for our new adventure in Seattle, but I am still a little in denial that I have to leave here. It is hard to believe that this day is almost here.

When we moved here in August 2008, 2 1/2 yrs seemed like it was so far off, and now I look back and can't believe how fast time has flown by. We arrived here with two 3 1/2 yrs olds who had never been to any kind of school, and one 5 month old. We are leaving with two 6 yr old Kindergarteners and a 2 1/2 yr old. Most of Dylan's life has been spent here in New York.

There are so many things about this place I will miss. Grocery shopping will never be the same without Wegman's, and most specifically, their W kids play area. I will miss all the seasons, especially my favorite, Autumn. I have loved the outdoor things here, the waterfalls, and many parks, and the gorges. Our whole family has enjoyed going up to Rochester and the Strong Museum of Play as often as we can. I still have never seen a play muesuem on the same scale as that one. I will miss our ward family we have here, the kids school and their wonderful Kindergarten teacher, and, most importantly, our friends.

Where do I start, talking about the friends we will miss dearly when we leave? I think I have been trying to convince everyone here that they need to move to Seattle with us.:) We have been so blessed to live by so many incredible people here. I have made so many great and wonderful friends. There have been many times in the past 2 1/2 yrs when I have thought, these are some of the best years of my life. I will always look back on our time here with such fond memories. I know that we will make new friends when we get to Seattle, but part of me knows it will never be the same. Here, with so many of us far way from our other family and friends, your friends here literally become your family. They are the ones you laugh and cry with, and share your fears and insecurities with. They are the ones you call for help when needed. I will miss going to book groups, RS activities, Girls Night Out's, playgroups, and all the other impromptu get togethers we had while here.:) There have been many people I have gotten to know well, and others I didn't get to know as well as I would like. But I can say, everyone has touched my life in some way, and has made me a better person because of it.

So of everything I will miss about leaving here in less then two weeks, my friends and the people here are at the top of the list. For those who are still living here, for however long it may be, enjoy it while you can! And please remember to come visit us on the west coast, seriously.


10 comments:

Julie said...

Melissa :( I'm so sad I didn't get to say goodbye to you before we left!! Hopefully our paths will cross again soon. I've loved spending time with you. Thanks for being so sweet. You always make me feel so loved, you're so fun to be around. Good luck with the move! You will be missed in Ithaca!! xo

Klare said...

Cute pic's!!! I understand how you feel, it was hard for me to leave WA. I love the fact that there are computers though!! Trough Facebook and blogs is how I keep in touch with all my awesome friends! Good luck to you guys!! Hopefully we will see you guys a tad more often. :)

Kristen Sheranian said...

Wow Melissa!!! I just can't picture Ithaca without you being there! I too am going to miss all the things you mentioned...Wegmans being toward the top of the list, but mostly all the friends! I am so lucky to have gotten to know you and your sweet family! We are truly going to miss you!

Shawna said...

Wow, Melissa--your post really touched me! Ithaca isn't going to be the same without you either. Don't forget we want the kids to come play while you are packing or cleaning.

Bridget said...

You said it so well. I miss that place!

Roo said...

I am crying right now.

Anonymous said...

I have watched my daughter, Melissa, grow and branch out as never before as she has spent the last 2 1/2 years in Ithaca. It has been wonderful! She has talked positively about every experience. I've been so grateful to the many friends who have loved her, befriended her, and taken care of her. You have made a hugh difference in her life. I know she will miss all of you terribly but will have the memories forever. I cried as I read her farewell. Thanks to all for giving my daughter this beautiful gift! It is what life is all about.
Melissa's mom :-)

Burke family said...

I can't believe you are leaving. Ithaca won't be the same without you... playgroups, book clubs, GNO, enrichment - you make everything way more fun! We are sooo going to miss you!

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Oh Melissa, I can't tell you how much my family is going to miss yours! You have been such a wonderful friend since the very first time I met you this summer at playgroup! Thank you for your kindness and friendship! I will miss you dearly! Good luck on your new adventures!

Cece Girl said...

Awww...it's always hard to move! Wish I could be there to help you organize and clean! But I bet you'll love seattle just as much before you know it! xo