Christmas is rapidly approaching, yet we still have not had any snow, well almost. In the middle of October, we did wake up one day to a light sprinkling of an inch or two of snow, but it melted by mid morning. And, much to my astonishment and delight, we have not seen any since. I am just enjoying it while we can, because I definitely remember how bone-chilling cold it got here last year, and how long it lasted. I'll take all the
snowless days I can get.
Even though we have no snow yet, we are still getting ready for Christmas here at the
Harker's. On Thanksgiving day, we got out the Christmas decorations. Scott has been talking about doing this for weeks. He has been telling me how excited he was for Thanksgiving to come, not because of the food necessarily, but because I told him we wouldn't get out the Christmas stuff until then. We have a few Christmas toys, books and
DVD's that the kids love, but that I put away with the decorations each year, so it is exciting and new for them each Christmas season.

Here is one of Scott, and now Dylan's, favorites. The Christmas Train.

And Madeline was excited to help decorate the tree. This was a little hard for me, since I can be a "little" (wink, wink) controlling.:):) I was letting the kids put their personal ornaments on the tree where they wanted them, but after they were done with those, they wanted to help put all the other ornaments on the tree too. Now, I know what you are thinking, it's
Christmas. Let the kids do what they want. And, for the record, I eventually gave in and did just that, but after a little hesitation on my part. Not that they would ruin the ornaments, but that they put them all in the same area on the tree, and I was trying to guide their placements elsewhere.:) But, yes, they did get to put most of the ornaments on the tree, and I sneakily moved them (not their personal ornaments) to other areas when they weren't looking. Controlling, I know. Can't help it. (I wonder it that is an inherited trait...:)
After the decorating was done, we went to some wonderful friends house, had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, and played some fun games while all the kids played. Great Thanksgiving.
Also, wanted to share a funny observation Scott made today. He asked Dave and I if Santa knew everyone in the world, and if he knew who he was? We said, yes, Santa knows who you are, Scott (how else would Santa be making that naughty and nice list we are reminding Scott daily about if Santa didn't know who he was?). Scott then said, when he grew up he wanted to be Santa Claus, but that it would be hard. Dave and I looked at each other in puzzlement, and asked Scott why that would be hard. He said, because it would take a lot of work to know who everyone in the world was.:) He does have a point there.
6 comments:
Okay so funny. We have two Christmas trees. One in the house that Doug and I decorate. Doug likes to have it look very fancy. The one on the porch (yes outside) we let the kids decorate. And that is where their homemade ornaments go. Ha ha. So we know how you were feeling! LOL!
Surely, Melissa, you didn't get that controlling gene from me.:P
I must say the boys look like they are having fun with the train. Sweet Madeline wanting to help. You could have had all three wanting to decorate the tree. Scott is definately your deep thinker. Watch out! And be good! :0
Grandma Sue
Love the Christmas-get-ready stuff...and what a cute idea to get out the christmas play toys...tell Scott to watch the santa clause...all he has to do it push Santa off the roof, and then voila..he gets to be Santa!
We got our tree up on Friday too! We had to do it fast, since we are leaving 10 days before Christmas! I'm actually happy to wait for the snow and cold!
So fun! Your kids are adorable
Cute blog! I'm proud of you! LOVE your tree! Hehee!
Post a Comment