As luck would have it, Dave is actually going to be out of town on our actual anniversary, so we will be celebrating it another day. Not that it can be that big of a celebration, considering we are still students in school, and will be for our anniversary next year too. Maybe when we reach twelve years, and we are done with school, we can do something great, who knows? (Hint, hint) Well, in honor of reaching 10 years, I though I would be a little cheesy, and probably embaress Dave a little, by listing 10 reasons (in random order) why I am glad Dave is the one for me.:)
1- He is calm. Anyone who knows me, knows this is a necessary quality for my husband to have. Most of the time, I am the complete opposite of calm. I can get flustered and stressed easily, and am not the most flexible person. Dave works so great under pressure, and tries (this being the key word) to keep me calm and flipping out about things.
2- He is a hard worker. Dave has I am sure always been a hard worker throughout his life, but the one time that sticks in my mind, is when he was preparing to take the GMAT. He studied quite a bit, which incidentally prepared me for what it would be like with him in grad school. Thankfully, his studying paid off, and he ended up getting a good score on the GMAT, which is one of the reasons we are here in grad school today. He has also tried to be prepared (as best he can) for all of his classes, and tried to take on other responsibilites in school, to gain more experience and improve his chances of doing well once we are done. At times, I look at how busy he is, and feel exhausted for him, but he just keeps working on, focusing on what needs to be done. I am very proud of him and his accomplishments, especially this past year in school.
3- He spoils me. Dave really does try to help me alot. I am probably harder on him then I should be about doing more.:) He plays with the kids often, and before we were in school, we actually took turns sleeping in on the weekends, so both of us could get a little more sleep. What a wonderful husband, the gift of sleep is the best! And Dave trusts me enough that I don't have to check with him if I ever need to buy something. Lucky for him, I try not to take advantage of that trust.:)
4- He plays with the kids. When Daddy comes home, it is always a celebration at our house, as I am sure with many of yours. The kids love to play with Dad. When I was a teenager, I knew I wanted to marry someone who played well with little kids (coming from a Dad who is a great example of that), but I didn't actually see Dave interact with kids until we had been dating a few months. Not alot of kids around when you are college students. But as I was happy to see, he truly enjoys playing with kids, and I knew he would make a great father someday, which he is.
5- He thinks I am great. He has indeed been disillusioned these past 10 years into thinking I am still great. He compliments me often, and points out good things I do. And I constantly second guess and berate myself over little things I say and do, so this is a tall order from him. Really, I feel sorry for him sometimes, dealing with all my many insecurities. He should get a medal for this one.:)
5- He thinks I am great. He has indeed been disillusioned these past 10 years into thinking I am still great. He compliments me often, and points out good things I do. And I constantly second guess and berate myself over little things I say and do, so this is a tall order from him. Really, I feel sorry for him sometimes, dealing with all my many insecurities. He should get a medal for this one.:)
6- He likes to spend time with his family. We do stuff together all the time. Even little things, like grocery shopping, or running errands. And most of this is done without complaint from Dave. And we both love spending time with our extended family. Visiting them are our favorite vacations.:)
7- He has some hidden talents. As I mentioned in my last post, Dave likes to dance, and most people might find this suprising. Granted, you may never convince him to get up and perform for you, but just know, he likes it. Most specifically, Disco dancing.:) Dave also is making up little songs and jingles for the kids all the time. I keep telling him he is in the wrong profession, and should make jingles for a living. Dave can also play piano, sing (he actually serenaded me at our wedding reception! It was kind of impromptu, and not that romantic of a song, but he did get up and sing.:), and best of all, play the cello. He plays the cello quite well, and will share that talent most willingly of them all.
8- He likes to have fun. Dave is always game to try new things, or go new places. I was especially grateful for that this summer, living in CT. We were so close to so many fun places, and Dave was fine driving around to all of them. We also love to play games in our family, which doesn't happen as often since we have had kids.
9- He thinks the best of others. Dave is not one to really talk badly of anyone. He seems to look for the good in others always. He truly does want others around him to succeed and is genuinely happy for them when they do.
10- He is my best friend. Dave puts up with me though thick or thin. And I can definately be a trying person to live with. I share everything with him. Whenever he is away, I definately feel like a part of me is missing.
.
Whew! That's alot of stuff all about Dave. Hopefully he doesn't mind all the attention too much. I know that he is not prefect (yes, he does have some flaws), but overall, Dave is a great husband, father, and all around guy. I am glad I have been able to spend the last ten years with him, and look forward to many more to come.
I love you Dave.
8 comments:
Happy anniversary! I hope it's a great one!
Happy Anniversary! Too bad you guys are apart. Hope you have a nice day anyway. Here's to your 12 year when you can actually celebrate!
Wow! 10 years! Congratulations! I learned a lot of things about Dave since I don't know him very well. But I know you're pretty special, and I'd say he's lucky to have you too!
Happy Anniversary! Sorry that Dave is gone again! (I think it's miserable to have the husband and daddy/rough-house/energy getter-outer gone!)
Congrats and great list!
#11 He has some dang good taste in women.
ba doo yeah.
I think Dave is SUCH a great guy. And I appreciate his friendship with Kurt--and hope he can rub off some of his good qualities there :) And for the record I have never felt like you are so "high strung"?? Do I have a calming effect on you too? Or are you just being to hard on yourself :)
I have to say that I could not have chosen a better mate for you. I think you are more level headed than you give yourself credit for and you are a mom who is in control of your emotions.
Between the two of you, you have a match that "was made in heaven".
We too admire Dave and all his accomplishments. And you, Melissa, are a great support to your husband. We have seen the growth over the years. We love you both, especially those grandkids :D, and wish you a Happy Anniversary!
Love, Mom Sue
I love it Melissa. 10 years is a big deal this day and age. Congratulations!
Post a Comment