Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Church History sites

Well, since Dave is done with school and had a little bit of time before starting his internship, we decided to go see some of the LDS church history sites around here with the kids. First stop was Palmyra, New York. As many know, this is where Joesph Smith saw the first vision in the Sacred Grove. It is also where he received the golden plates at the Hill Cumorah, and where the Book of Mormon was first printed.



Our first stop was the Grandin Printing Shop where the Book of Mormon was first printed. Here is Dave, Scott and Dylan sitting in front of a rare first edition of the Book of Mormon.



Another picture of the bookstore.




Here are Dave and the kids in front of the Palmyra LDS Temple. It was just beautiful there.



After the bookstore and temple, we went to the Joesph Smith Farm. We toured the log home and the frame home where the Smith family lived. This picture was taken inside of the log home.



Here we are on the Smith Farm just outside of the Sacred Grove.



The Sacred Grove



Before going into the Sacred Grove, we had talked to Scott and Madeline about the significance of how Joesph Smith came here to pray and how he saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We let them know this was a quiet place and we needed to be reverent like at church. They did really well! I also didn't want them running off the path into the bushes, so I told them there was some leaves on the plants that could make them sick and itchy (poison ivy, and yes, there really is some there. But I definitely dramatized it so they wouldn't leave the path). From then on, Madeline wouldn't even step on a leaf that had fallen on the path for fear she would get sick and itchy. Unfortunately, that was one of the things they remember most about the Sacred Grove.:) I guess I overdid it a little bit, huh? Well, no one got poison ivy, but hopefully next time we go they will remember the feeling of being there more then staying away from the sick and itchy plants!:)



I love this shot. It is a picture of the four steeples of different churches on the corners of an intersection in town. You can almost picture how it would have been back then, with all the churches out preaching and trying to get people to join their church.


Here are the kids running to the Hill Cumorah Monument. This was where Joesph Smith received the golden plates, incidentally on the same day of the year as Dave's birthday, September 22.









This is right outside the Hill Cumorah Monument, right off the road. Definitely an attention grabber! We had a great time looking at all the church history sites they have here. We are hoping to get back here this July to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant.





4 comments:

Klare said...

Oh, I'm so jealous!! I so want to visit those places someday!! I'm glad you got to.

Heather said...

When Anthony was working back there for a week he got to go to the Sacred Grove. I was so jealous and I am jealous now. What a cool thing to do with your family. Let me think, histoic sites in Las Vegas, kids don't look at that billboard, thats more like it.

The Johnsons said...

Looks like fun. We are lucky to live so close to those sacred places! Hope you are doing alright with out Dave. I always seem to be gone the same time as him...bummer. Look at me compare myself to him, like it's as bad to have me gone :). California has been awesome so far--kurts suddenly scheming of ways we could possibly come live here again...hmmmmm rent a 2 bedroom townhome that's about how it would have to be :) talk to you soon.

Alee and Brandon said...

Fun stuff!! Hey... I don't have your new number and don't ask what I did with your cell phone number (I have pregnancy brain)???I wanted to call and say hi today!!!