Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life with kids


There are a few funny things I just had to share. First, everytime I go out walking with all the kids, I seem to get a few stares from the cars driving by, and unfortunately it is not from my stunning good looks! I guess you can see why in the photo above; me, pushing Scott and Madeline in the jogger and carrying Dylan in a baby carrier. People are not used to seeing this many little kids here. In fact, when Dave first introduced himself in a class a few weeks ago, and he said he had three kids, he became known for that. Whenever he would introduce himself to people after that, they would say, "Oh! You're that guy with three kids!" Mind you, this was a class of like 80 students, only half were married, and only a handful of those had any children. He was DEFINATELY the minority with three kids.
Also, we have dropped off Dave to school a few times, and the kids are starting to get used to the idea that Daddy goes to school now. Well, earlier today after I took Dave to class, Madeline wanted to know if Daddy was going to a "coloring class". I said no, and then a few minutes later she asked, "Is he going to a painting class?" I again said no, and then wondered how could I explain what Daddy did at school. I decieded to just tell her Daddy was in like a reading class. She seemed okay with that answer. I had never thought about it from their point of view before. I am sure it is so confusing to them why we now live in a different place, why we no longer can go see grandma and grandpa, or all the other things that have changed.
The funniest thing of all just happened a few minutes ago. I was on the phone with my mom (Happy Birthday Mom!) and nursing Dylan at the same time. All of the sudden, someone knocks on our door. Obviously, I am not in any postion to answer it. So what do my kids do? Sit quietly like I told them too, so the person thinks no one is home? Of course not! Madeline jumps up to open the door! Luckily it was locked, or the person waiting would have gotten quite a view of me feeding Dylan. But now the person outside knows that someone is home, since he could hear Madeline turning the doorknob, not to mention me threatening the life out of her if she does open the door! So I again tell Madeline to sit down because Mommy can't open the door right now. So does she sit down like the obedient child I would like her to be? If you have met my little Madeline, you could probably answer that. Of course she doesn't! Instead she yells to the door, "Just a minute!" By now the guy has knocked three times and obviously knows I am home, and now thinks I am coming to the door in a minute. Needless to say, I put Dylan down and apologized to the guy (a UPS delivery man) for the wait and explained that I was feeding my little boy. Such is the life with kids! Never a dull moment!

3 comments:

Klare said...

I so understand about the "how many kids" thing. When we had Ryder everyone at Darren's work was like "You have 4 kids!?!?". It is unheard of I guess. Even one guy (who's wife had had triplet's a few months before) couldn't believe Darren had 4 kids. Darren told him he would take his own 4 kids over the other guys triplets. The guy was amazed. Some people and their thinking. ;)

I hate when kids go to open the door and you don't want them too. I just love it (NOT) when Dennam opens the door and I'm still in my PJ's. Ahhh...kids. :)

Alee and Brandon said...

Ha ha! That's so funny! Luckily you had your door locked! Our house stinks for that sort of thing because we have a peep window...so I REALLY can't pretend I'm not home!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you have me about peeing my pants laughing at this story!!! How funny that you had to answer the door after all that! What a little stinker, Madeline! lol How funny. I am so glad you found my blog! I'm sure all of our cousins have them I just haven't found them yet! It's fun to see what's new with you guys. I had no idea you had a third baby! Our family has definately gotten so big it's hard to keep track of everyone! Well it's good to hear from you. Keep in touch! P.S. What state are you guys in now?